May 16th @ De Kleine Duivel
Introductions - Old Members/New Faces
- AHA membership is down and interest in homebrewing has seen a decline since its peak in early 2010s. If you have ideas to drive engagement and retention the guild is seeking input.
- Maryland State Fair competition
- Will be BJCP-judged on Friday, August 23.
- Fair week is August 23 - September 2.
- Entry drop-off will be August 20-21. If you drop off at Maryland Homebrew by August 19, John Jester will drive the entries up on the 20th or 21st
- We are going to check on the availability of Nepenthe Homebrew Show as an alternative drop location. Will make an announcement if they are interested.
- See the minutes for other announcements.
- Guild Picnic & Wheat Beer Competition, June 1st
- Hollofield Area, Shelter 300, 12:00-dusk.
- There is a small $3 fee per car to enter the park, otherwise, this is a free event (BYOB and food to share). Guild will supply charcoal, paper products, ice, and some meat/rolls/condiments
- Wheat beer comp w/ cash prizes.
- Becky will be entering a wheat beer in the competition.
- Members should coordinate on carpools.
- AHBC’s Pints for Paws, June 15th
- Navy Football Stadium in Annapolis @ 2pm
- Homebrewcon, June 27-29
- Providence, RI
- Howard County Rideshare Extravaganza, July 13th
- Proposed route to include Sapwood Cellars, Black Flag, & Hysteria
- Mark the day, more to come on transportation
- Mashout - August 15-18
- New location: 1812 Farm Brewery outside of Cumberland. They are setting up a flat field with electric, showers, etc.
- Cost is estimated at $35 pp.
- Folks are highly encouraged to coordinate a Baltibrew station.
- Club gear liquidation - No Update
- New quorum: 7 for simple majority, 9 for 2/3 majority
New Business/Member Announcements
- Mobtown Fermentations is looking to offload a water distiller. We can forward the information to anyone who is interested.
- Gut High Festival is this Saturday at the Fadensonnen Beirgarden for a celebration of all things fermented.
Ed Topic - Sensory Mini-Panel - Becky
- Becky led another mini-sensory panel featuring:
- Ethyl hexanoate - aniseed, apple or liquorice
- Isoamyl acetate - banana, peardrop
- Hefeweizen - spicy & banana